Here Are the Details From New George Floyd TranscriptsNewser — Evann Gastaldo
New bodycam transcripts were released in the death of George Floyd Wednesday, and they're difficult to read. They were made public as part of former Minneapolis police officer Thomas Lane's request to have the charges against him in the case, aiding and abetting murder and aiding and abetting manslaughter, dropped.
Lane's lawyer argues that his client was a rookie officer who trusted senior officer Derek Chauvin, who is charged with murdering Floyd by kneeling on his neck for nearly 8 minutes during a botched arrest on May 25.
The attorney points out that Lane asked twice if Floyd should be rolled onto his side, and Chauvin said no; Lane also expressed concern about "excited delirium or whatever" with regard to Floyd.
- By the numbers: Floyd said he could not breathe at least two dozen times.
He used the word "please" almost five dozen times as he begged officers not to kill him.
- COVID: Floyd mentioned multiple times he had just recovered from COVID-19.
"I just had COVID, I don’t want to go back to that," he said as officers tried to get him in the back of a squad car.
He also said he was claustrophobic.
- History with police: Floyd also mentioned more than once that he had been shot in a previous encounter with police.
He pleaded with them not to shoot him, and warned them they would kill him. As officers lowered him to the ground, he said, "Mom, I love you. I love you. Tell my kids I love them. I’m dead. ... I'm through, I'm through."
- "A lot of oxygen to talk": As Floyd complained that he couldn't breathe, Chauvin told him, "Then stop talking, stop yelling. It takes a heck of a lot of oxygen to talk."
- What happened: While Floyd cooperates with police at times during the encounter, he becomes agitated when faced with the order to get in the squad car, even thrashing so much that he allegedly "[hit] his face on the glass in the squad and began to bleed from his mouth." Lane's attorney says officers wanted to get Floyd on the ground so he would not further injure himself.
Floyd also allegedly had foam coming from his mouth, which he said was because he was scared and had just been playing basketball, and Lane hypothesized to the other officers, "he's got to be on something."
- Pleading: Floyd promised multiple times to do what officers asked.
"I’m not going to do nothing … I’m sorry Mr. Officer, I’ll get on my knees, whatever," he said at one point. "I'll do anything y'all tell me to, man. ... I’m just claustrophobic, that’s it," he said when being ordered into the squad car.
"I want to lay on the ground." He referred to the officers as "sir" and "Mr. Officer."
- Chauvin's reaction: After an officer checked Floyd's pulse and said he couldn't find one, Chauvin allegedly responded, "Huh?"
This article originally appeared on Newser: Here Are the Details From New George Floyd Transcripts