news 1 month ago

WHO Seeks $76 Million For Lebanon After Beirut Blast, Concerned About Coronavirus

Wochit Postables
The World Health Organization is passing the hat to assist Lebanon after last week's massive explosion in Beirut. HuffPost reports the WHO appealed for $76 million in aid on Wednesday, following the damage done to Lebanese hospitals, clinics, and medical supplies. HuffPost reports the blast put three hospitals out of operation and has left three others working at partial capacity. WHO officials said in an online press conference that the number of beds in public and private hospitals in Beirut has been reduced by 500-600. WHO's regional emergency director, Richard Brennan, said the loss of beds has clear implications for managing the coronavirus outbreak and other conditions. Initial assessments of 55 primary healthcare clinics and centres across Beirut showed just over half are not functioning.